It’s 2019, we should all be making galettes.
The galette is beautiful and so much easier than her much more popular sister, the pie.
Galettes, are like a free-form pie where there are no pre-baking the crust, no crimping the edges, no runny fillings. Galettes are here to keep it simple.
A few tricks to making a good galette:
You won’t need to bake your galette as long as a pie, so slice the fruits for your filling (in this case strawberries) SUPER thin so they can bake all of the way through.
You will want to prevent your crust from becoming too soggy, so you will need to add a barrier between your crust and filling. I used butter and sugar for this galette.
Arrange your fruit thoughtfully. Galettes are a great dessert to show of your artistic skills. I have no artistic skills, so I kind of just arrange my strawberries in a blob. But if you got it, flaunt it.
Eat your galette immediately. Unfortunately, unlike pies, galettes don’t hold up great over time and are best when they are warm and crisp right out of the oven!
Makes 1 Galette
- 1 pie crust
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon Turbinado sugar, divided
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lay parchment paper on a clean work surface and roll out prepared pie crust to a 10-inch circle.
- Brush melted butter in the center 6 inches of the pie crust, leaving about 1 ½ inches around the perimeter of the crust. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Turbinado sugar ontop of the butter.
- Arrange strawberries however you please on top of the melted butter, leaving 1 ½ inches along the edges of the crust unfilled.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk honey and vanilla extract together. Pour the mixture over the strawberries.
- Fold the unfilled edges over onto the strawberries, overlapping as necessary, and pressing down with fingers to seal. Brush the egg white along the border crust, you will not need to use all of the egg white. Sprinkle Turbinado sugar over the crust.
- Transfer parchment paper with the galette onto a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and strawberries are bubbling slightly. Slice to serve and add a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream if desired.