GRAPEFRUIT LEMON LOAF
This week I am taking a nice, relaxing vacation at the Jersey shore-Stone Harbor to be specific. The plan is to spend my mornings grinding through a long to-do list, spend my afternoons on the beach and then spend my evenings baking as much as possible.
The first recipe on my never-ending “to-bake” list is this beautiful Grapefruit Lemon Loaf. The loaf is moist and bright with a soft delicate crumb. It is the perfect dessert for when you are craving something buttery and rich with a splash a citrus.
And although grapefruit may be more of a winter fruit, I think it has a wonderful summer citrus flavor. This morning I ate my sliced, sugar grapefruit for breakfast on the deck and I can tell you, nothing makes a grapefruit sing quite like salty summer air.
I’ll have another slice of this loaf for dessert tonight, as I sit on the rooftop deck, watching the sunset and the sky turn precisely the color of a pink grapefruit.
Grapefruit Lemon Loaf
Makes 1 Loaf
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour or meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8.5in x 4.5in loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt together until combined and no clumps of flour remain.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar together until creamed, about 3 minutes at a medium speed. Add vanilla extract, grapefruit zest and lemon zest and mix until combined. Add grapefruit juice, mix until combined and then add lemon juice and mix again until combined.
- Add eggs and mix until combined. The mixture may look separated, or not all of the way mix at this point, and that is okay.
- Add flour mixture to batter and mix on a low speed until just combined. Slowly add in milk and mix until the milk is just combined, be careful to not over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Bake loaf for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Allow loaf to cool in the pan.
- While the loaf is cooling, sift powdered sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Add grapefruit juice and salt and mix until combined and smooth. If the mixture is too thick to pour, add additional grapefruit juice one teaspoon at a time.
- Transfer the loaf to a cooling rack and pour glaze over the top of the loaf once it is completely cool. Slice to serve.