SPICED APPLE WALNUT CAKE
Fall is here! And that means so is everyone’s favorite fall activity-apple picking!
If you need something to bake with that bushel of apples you are sure to bring home this season-this apple cake will not let you down!
A showstopper cake with warm, fall spices topped with apples, walnuts and powdered sugar. This cake is so flavorful and moist and pairs perfectly with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You’ll want to save this recipe and bring it to Thanksgiving too! Because let pumpkins and pecans have the pie glory— go with an apple cake.
Spiced Apple Walnut Cake
Makes 1 Cake
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9-inch round springform pan.
- Slice apples into thin, half moon shapes and toss in a medium mixing bowl with sugar and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together until combine and no clumps of flour remain. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk canola oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Add egg and whisk on a medium speed for about one minute.
- Slowly whisk in half of the flour mixture until it is almost combined. Add milk and whisk at a medium speed until combined. Add the second half of the flour mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared springform pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Arrange the apple slices on top of the batter, pushing the apple about halfway down into the batter. Sprinkle walnut pieces on top of the apples, pushing them about halfway into the batter as well. Sprinkle Turbinado sugar over the entire cake, this will give the cake a nice crunchy top.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a cakey part of the cake.
- Allow cake to cool completely before removing from the springform pan and topping with powdered sugar. Slice to serve.